Sunday, March 14, 2010

Growing up is hard on the knees

The top things I HATE about growing up (err, older)
  • Decisions - From which teacher I like most to which field should I specialize in, it just gets significantly harder. And your expected to take them ALL by yourself, AND do a good job of it. Heck what do I know? I no wanna get married, or decide which country to move and study in, parents outta do it. This half assed job of "now your grown up, you must decide yourself" is just them shirking their responsibility. yes.
  • Generation gaps - From the coolest thing you owned being a frisbee to now being uncool without an ipod. Getting 10 bucks a month and saving up from that to 1600 bucks a month and complaining (Yes, its a meager pocket money for a 16 year old apparently)
  • Changing landscapes - From "mommy whats this building", to "You know, during my childhood there was so and so here". I never got it when my father used to say Cuffe parade didnt exist then, it was all sea, and now i do when i point out a "used to be" to my 16 year old brother. A slow quiet renaissance in the landscape of the surroundings means it gets harder to identify with the new chique and clinical buildings. Old school Victorian architecture has a charm like no glassy, clean cut modern building can ever dream of having.
  • Obsoletion - (I know it isnt a real word) Brands, technology, favorite tv shows, actors, fads - all symbols of 'your time' - fade into oblivion. I take offense when my brother finds something i loved 'uncool'. drat 16 year olds
  • Complexity - work and professional life are getting more intertwined, childhood is fusing directly into adulthood, newer diseases are cropping up, and we struggle to stay afloat. come to think of it, even music succumbed - no longer are genres defined as 'rock' or 'pop' - theres 'fusion rock -pop' or 'punk techno blues' which basically means when i go to a club which apparently defines what music its playing that night, I have NO clue what to expect. Dj so-and-so playing the best of "house funk fusion rnb" and I pay 1500 rs for that?
  • Expectations - from one candybar for a good result in school to expecting a 100 thousand dollar salary from an MBA grade, we've come a long way baby.
  • Crossroads - I need to decide which country to move to. and Im hating it. Maybe why thats why this post.

16 comments:

snow said...

Ca-na-da? :D

Serendipity said...

lol. right now its U-S-A or Sinapore. unless other options open up :)

hitch writer said...

lol.. I would love to go to ZA-I-RE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scarlett said...

If it's a choice b/w US & Singapore, I'd say US anyday! You'll have an unforgettable experience. This I say from personal experience.

Farcenal said...

Why do you need to move? The money, the jobs, the future....it's all in India. A humble suggestion: trading Internship with an investment bank in Bombay. You're good enough for it.

Aditya said...

UK! UK! UK! Come here!

The one thing I have noticed about growing up is that your mistakes get costlier. I've moved on from losing rubber cricket balls that cost ten bucks to missing buses and being forced to take 15-pound cab rides to accidentally burning a circuit costing 30 pounds. :-|

Oh, and it's obsolescence ;)

v said...

if you are studying - USA!! but working - singapore is good. I study here and its well.. err.. yea.. whatever.

ani_aset said...

I have gone through that too, from the time of waiting for calls on landlines to texting..from chole bhature after every game of cricket..to mc donalds..sigh things have changed a lot already..you've done mba and now want to study more?

Serendipity said...

@ Hitch - How u doing? :) Zaire? haha i need to move, not go on vacation!

@Scarlett - i knowwwwww!! what about the monies :(

@SB - danke for your vote of confidence! :)

@Adi - Holla! UK could be on the cards (if i get an admit) lesse.

@pplxd - thanks for that, what u studying there?

Hi Ani - Im no MBA! B.E. Elex is the only degree to my name!

Nirav said...

Is this for studying? Or for work? US for studies is good... But then, you also need decide based on where you might want to settle down eventually

PS: Good to be back after long

Aniket Thakkar said...

Not been to Singapore so dunno how it is up there.

Study in US is great. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. Shouldn't you be searching for good school rather than good country? Just sayin' .. ;)

Serendipity said...

Hi Nirav - you pop up once a year! :) Wats up?

@Ani - thats the problem. I have 2 great schools, 2 different countries and one more week. :(

Aniket Thakkar said...

Heads or Tails?

Rock-paper-scissors...

Ini-mini-maini-mo...

Hope this helps! :D

Serendipity said...

Course :\

Anonymous said...

love this a lot. :)

Tamanna said...

AAARGH! You said it... And again... Damn all this growing up!